more than just a gallery
The roots of Alef dig deep into all origins: as our name suggests, we start our journey from the beginning, unfurling the traditional arts of the Mediterranean basin and keeping them alive in the modern age. Alef is more than just a gallery; it is a place where people can wander from reverie to reverie and be transported back to those ancient civilizations that have fascinated us for centuries. We are dreamers and want others to be inspired. We seek to share our journeys into the mystique and diversity of Arabic culture. We draw from this source our inspiration, mixing modern with traditional; luxuriant decadence with contemporary simplicity. The gallery’s main aim is to revive high quality handicrafts and home furnishings; to maintain the highest standards of craftsmanship in all our creations. Our vision into reality. From glass-blowers to carpenters, all our craftsmen work for Alef in-house, ensuring each and every piece is unique and finished to the highest possible standards.
Our textiles boutique has become one of our sincerest passions. Exclusive to Alef and based on traditional Coptic, Islamic and Orientalist designs, we print on all natural fibres including a wide variety of Egyptian cotton weaves, linens and velvets.
Alef has also been engaged on many occasions to supply creative services for hotels, public projects, restaurants and special events:
- Accor Sofitel Gezira Hotel, Cairo 2007 – Custom made chandelier in the lobby, curtains, furniture, fabrics and bedroom suites. View photo of chandelier
- Port Ghaleb Resort, Marsa Alam 2007 – Brasswork, furniture, fabrics, custom made candelabra
- Al Azhar Park by the Agha Khan Foundation, Cairo 2004 – fabrics
- Egyptian Lebanese Business Association Annual Gala, 2004 – Event set up with furniture & accessories
- Royal Jordanian Wedding, Amman 2004 – table setting
- Al Moudira Hotel, Luxor 2003 – fabrics
- La Residence des Cascades, Soma Bay 2003 – fabrics
- Cairo Sheraton, 2003 – trays & accessories
- Momo’s Restaurant, London 2002 – fabrics
- Four Seasons Resort, Sharm El Sheikh 2002 – decorative panel with parrots
- Christian Louboutin (International Shoe Designer) 2002 – fabrics